Monday, April 27, 2020

Day 44: Community Quarantine


  FROG-  I was removing garden soil from a plastic bag when eyes popped out from the bottom. There was a frog. Good thing I was using my hands and not a trowel else I could have wounded or killed it.
   It was a big bellied frog commonly found in moist areas buried under ground or in mulch.
   I remember doing bisection to frogs during our biology class decades ago. I didn't feel any remorse torturing the animal then. 
  Now, older, I don't feel like I can intentionally harm animals. I guess when one gets older one gets more emphatic.
   I picked up the frog and put it in a moist and shaded area without ants. I have seen frogs like this killed by ants.
    POWDER- There are fine powders under of the bamboo sofas and one look I knew what it was.
   I brought the sofa out to check. One leg was infested with dry wood termites (bukbok). 
    I had a left over general insecticides that I applied, but it did not work. The wood needs to be immersed for the poison to seep through the tunnels where the insects live. I will need a lot of poison.
   I had an idea. I boiled water and poured it into the affected node. The node was filled to the brim with scalding hot water, sure enough I saw termites floating to the top. 
   I will be repeating the process three times every morning. 
   MALUNGGAY- I planted five malunggay cuttings near the papayas. This I should have done long ago. The thing is, I am running out of space and there's no more "social distancing" between the trees. I will have to regularly trim them to give each trees their equal share of the sun.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...