Sunday, April 19, 2020

Day 36: Community Quarantine


    BORED- It's been 35 days. I am not going out that often anymore after learning we have one positive case here. I like being in the house, there are a lot of things I can do here and home is where I spend most of my time even before the quarantine. I'm a work and go home man.  
    But not being able to watch a movie, buy hardware stuffs for my projects, or at least walk anywhere whenever I feel like to is driving me nuts.
    Having nothing to do, I checked my trees if there is one that I can start working on to shape and train. 

   ALAGAW TAIWAN-This is an argao tree, an imported Taiwanese variety of alagaw from the premna family. A bonsai hobbyist friend gave me a few cuttings about two years back. I have since propagated a lot of them.  
    Actual age of the tree does not really matter in bonsai, it's all about the illusion of old age. It's all up to the presentation. 
      Besides, the only way you can really verify the age of the tree is by checking the rings of the trunk but it ends up killing it in the process.
    There is a bonsai style that can be applied to slender, young trees: literati.
   BONSAI TALK- Literati is minimalist. It shows the struggle of a tree for sunlight amidst the forest. That is why it has slender and most of the times snaking trunk and has few branches and leaves mostly at the top. 
     Argao is a good material, adapts well to being potted by adjusting the size of its leaves,  the leaves become small to avoid dehydration through transpiration from the leaves. Leaf size is important in bonsai. A small tree must have small leaves, a small tree with big leaves lacks proportion that is why most big leafed bonsai are exhibited in defoliated fall style i.e. without the leaves. 
   This is my rough argao literati. This will be in the shade for a few days so that the tree can recover from the operation.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...