Saturday, April 25, 2020

Day 42: Community Quarantine


    SALUYOT, CAMOTE, ALUGBATI- The saluyot that I have  planted at the start of the lockdown is now about a foot fall. I have already harvested the tops earlier.
    This is the second generation of saluyot from the seeds I bought from Lazada many months ago. Most of the first generation died after harvesting which I thought was normal.
  But it was not, the plants should produce more branches and leaves in about a week or two as often as the tops are harvested, which did not happen.
   I joined the Philippine Urban Gardening FB to learn tips and techniques in gardening. One thing I am curious about is saluyot. I posted a picture of my plants and asked about it and I received about fifty comments. So, I'm sharing the most popular here.
     1. Cut the tops with scissors and not by hands to avoid dehydration (or getting old)
     2. In about a week or two, new branches and leaves will sprout.
    3. Pour hot water on the seeds before planting. This is weird and I have never tried it. 
    I have also been harvesting sweet potatoes, also planted at the onset of the lockdown, almost daily. 
    The alugbati fruits have germinated and I am transplanting them to other areas. I learned from a docu that alugbati planted from seeds produce bigger leaves than the ones planted from cuttings. But, I doubt it. I think it depends on the soil, sunlight, and water. Leaves exposed to too much sun are smaller while those growing near the base, in the shade, are larger. 
    Anyway, it's a personal observation.

    DOGS AND WATER- Bathing Jaya and Koko is an ordeal. I have to tie and wrestle with them before I could get them wet. They resist like they are being brought to a slaughter house. Everytime is a first time.
    But once they are wet and the soaping and rubbing starts, they behave. They love the massage more than they hate the water.
     EXTENDED- it's official, the lockdown is extended here in CALABARZON and the NCR. Hmmmm...blah, blah, blah.
    I think it's time for the government to try survival of the fittest, or herd immunity in areas where people do not observe quarantine.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...