Wednesday, April 15, 2020

DAY 32: Community Quarantine


    KOKO- I have two dogs and both are still puppies when I adopted them. Jaya is given to me by my brother's in laws because they cannot take care of her anymore while Koko is a gift from my grade six pupil 3 (or 4) years ago. 
   Jaya's personality (or dogsonality) is very laid back. She likes to be around me, jumps on my lap when I'm sitting, walks beside me when I am watering the plants, and loves to join me in the hammock. I have asthma so dogs are a no-no but Jaya loves to be with her human that she will not stop barking unless I give her a 10 minute time on my lap or in the hammock.
   Koko is another story. He does not pay attention to me unless I shout at him or when it's eating time. He sniffs around the place, pees in the most unexpected places like on the legs of the chair I am sitting on, loves to run around and step on my plants, fights with Jaya, jumps on me and scratches me with his long nails, nips me. I try to keep him from doing that but dogs are dogs.

   But when these two see a cat, they would stop fighting or whatever it is that they are doing and give chase. They never did manage to catch a cat but when they do corner one, they just play with it, barks at it but never gets near enough to get clawed or to hurt the cat.
   HW2K- I missed hiway 2000, the rice paddies,  the grass, the acacia trees. I think this the last open space in Taytay near downtown and a lot of people go here to walk, jog, and to sun. 
   There are also fruit vendors on the side of the road.
   In a few years residential homes will start popping up in the rice paddies and, sadly, the de facto park will become another concrete village. 
  It's time congress creates a law requiring a municipality or city to allot a small percentage of their land area into a nature and leisure park. It's criminal that most urban cities or municipalities have none.
    JOURNAL- I thought this journal will last for 15 days, the initial quarantine time frame. I was expecting something dramatic during the first few days of the lockdown like panic, looting, people dropping dead like flies, tanks moving in, soldiers armed and in haz-mat suits moving in to keep order...
    I was expecting a contagion of an apocalyptic proportion. Thank heavens none of that happened and I think the Filipinos, in general, have adapted well to the situation and though the things could get worse, at least as of now the country is still not overwhelmed by the number of cases, the lockdown is working.     
    That is, until yesterday when traffic became heavy again and some people with cars forgot about the extension which is supposed to be more restrictive.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...