Tuesday, May 05, 2020

DAY 52: Community Quarantine


     CHAIRS- There was a flurry of activities yesterday in the neighborhood. The unoffical street crier, a covid task force volunteer, shouted to bring out the chairs.
  This was around ten in the morning, but it was not until three in the afternoon that a municipal councillor with her group came and distributed the five kilo rice pack. We were waiting for the chicken but there was none.
   The night before, our purok chairman went around the sitio distributing stubs. Our spirits were high since there were talks of a while dressed chicken that comes with the five kilos of rice. I guess the chicken was a joke made by volunteers that I took in.
   Anyway, I am thankful to the mayor and his staff for distributing the food aid but I don't think its right to announce that the rice came from the mayor, it is from the taxpayers money.
   CACTI- My cacti have outgrown their pots. I repotted them using recycled pots. The ideal medium for cacti is pumice or pelite mixed with little soil. This is because the desert plants do not tolerate water well, they rot. But since I don't have pumice and they are not cheap, I used rice husk mixed with little soil and then topped with clay to seal in moisture..  
     I prefer columnar cacti than the barrel one because they tolerate rain better. One or two of these cacti I bought for fifty pesos from Baguio years ago and the rest are from Taytay public market. I don't collect them, I just like to have a few as a presentative in my little garden.
    As to succulents, I have since given up keeping them. I can't seem to master the right care for them. They either dry up or melt.
    ALEMBONG- I have planted Vietnam roses in pots for a long time now. But they die out eventually and I have to keep on replanting them. That is until I have discovered that once the flower bloomed and dries out,  the stem will dry out too eventually and it will keep on until the whole plant die. It needs to be cut and removed. That is the best part to replant.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...