Thursday, May 14, 2020

DAY 60: Community Quarantine


   SIXTY- Two months into the Community Quarantine and fifty eight days into the Enhance CQ and we are still surviving. On Friday the province's status will be downgraded into the General Community Quarantine.

  Even now I can see the relaxed restrictions. There are fewer volunteers that guard the entrance to the sitio. Q passes and thermal scanners are checked randomly, a far cry from strict individual checking done a few weeks ago. 
  I fear that the people will lower their guards thinking that the worst is over. 
  BOUNTY-  A public school teacher was arrested for putting a  50 million peso bounty on President Duterte' head. 
  Maybe the guy was an anti DDS or he might be genuinely frustrated with the way the president is running the country, but what ever the case maybe, what he did was in bad taste.
    He was disrespectful not only to the current president, he was also disrespectful to the highest office in the land.
  He was arrested, paraded around and made to apologize for his tweeter post. He was taken into custody by NBI agents for filing of charges.  
    I am no lawyer but is there probable cause to think that the threat to the president is real and imminent?  
   His action is tantamount to lesse majeste, which is equivalent to treason and is punishable by hard labor or death in an absolute monarchy. But we are in a democracy where freedom of speech is enshrined in our constitution.  Filipinos love to openly express their feelings passionately and this right is protected.
   Yes, there are laws that could be used to file charges against him but will it stick?
   I pity the guy. He was made an example of. 
   His arrest and public humilition sends a chilling effect to the administrations critic. He deserved it but...
  And here I will shut up...
    BILLS- I have summed up my accumulated bills, water, electricity, credit card ride, sss voluntary contributions, and my wife's Philhealth membership fee, and it added up to more than a month of my salary.
    I am blessed for I am a government employee with continuing monthly salary despite the lockdown.
   How about the daily paid laborers with five or more children living in a rented house, who have accumulated debts because they are not paid if they do not work. Add the utilty bills, just thinking about it,  how it is to be in their shoes makes me want to, I don't know, run amok or something. 
    But despite of it all, it is the lowly and hardworking people that inspires me the most.    They get through the day with very little and many get to see better lives due to their perseverance  and honest labor.
   COFFEE- I ran out of coffee yesterday, the last scoop. I was able to extend my supply for weeks by drinking weakened coffee. But starting today, nada.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...