Sunday, October 15, 2006

Stein

One of my hobbies is hunting for used book. Aside from the fact that books cost so much here in the Philippines, there is joy in discovering and rediscovering old books. One of the most surprising books I discover this year is Gertrude Steins lectures and wrtings. I am shocked by her unconventional writing style. Her repetitions annoyed me, but on later re-readings, I found her style, er, refreshing. I realized that there are more to English than all these grammar rules and blah, blah, blah. She uses only two punctutation marks the comma and the period, and she used them so sparingly that reading her is like riding on a water slide. Her sentences is a paragraph long, her conjunctions are repetitive...I mean she's different.

I hope my instructors of English read Stein's work. It will help loosen their grammatical dogmatism.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...