Friday, August 12, 2011

School Talk


First thing I do in the morning is to ask some pupils to sweep clean my cave, the computer room. This room houses the Laptops (or netbooks) for the pupils.This is part of an old building, the Rodriguez Building ,named after the former governor of Rizal province. The building was constructed around the 1960's that makes the building 50+ years old. There are ghost stories the most common of which are the mysterious turning off of the light at around 7:00 pm. and the apparition of white ladies or white teachers.

Sometimes when I am holding class here, I scare my pupils by telling them to keep quiet because we have an old lady visitor. When they asked where, I point to a corner and tell them that an old lady wearing a Maria Clara gown is observing them. They would whine and pretend to be scared...maybe they were really scared.

I love this building because of its wooden floor. Sometimes I walk on it barefoot. Also, the room is spacious compared to the new models constructed by the local government. I measured it and the new models is  (or are, forgive my SV agreement)short by a meter. I suspect that the engineers included the hallways in their computation of floor area to make it appear that they meet the standard. I could be wrong, but these contractors are good in going around the specs.

 

Watching the pupils wash the dishes. There are three wash areas in our school and they are busy places during lunch break.


Grade six pupils are housed on the top floor. One good thing about it is the panoramic view of the whole campus.




I like the school's garden and trees. Last week, an NGO planted mahogany  trees around the school. I have fear that becuase of the demand for more rooms, the school would run out of space and become a concrete block similar to what happened to other schools. School should have tree and plants, lots of them in fact.

I visited Cainta Elementary school a couple of months ago and I was disappointed to see that it is now all concrete. there were few trees and they looked dying. I used to attend boy scout camping there when I was still in grade school, now you can't pitch a tent there. 

The worst things about it is the heat.


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...