Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 4 ( Community Quarantine )


      I do not see any PUJs this morning and the column of stopped vehicles at the Ricarte check point is low compared to yesterday, about 300 meters deep.           
     Motorcycle riders have piled up at the Ricarte check point most of them coming from Ortigas Extension to avoid the blockade there since Ricarte street connects Ortigas Extension with Bonifacio Avenue going to Cainta and up north to Metro Manila.

      I think "total lock down" (fault in government semantics) has not sink in to them . I cannot blame the riders because we all have to earn a living, but when the threat of the decimation of the Filipino people from the virus is at stake, difficult measures have to be taken and there will be collateral damages.
      Again, panic buying is unwarranted from our area. The old Taytay public market, groceries, stores, sidewalk vendors etc. are open and though it is not swarming with people like in the pre-CoVID days, it is business as usual with the movement of goods coming and going unhampered. 
     I buy vegetables and bananas (no it is not a cure for Covid). Agri-produce is cheaper and healthier compared to processed food. The quarantine forces us to be  physically inactive. It is best to eat feesh foods and to exercise as often as we can to avoid health problems resulting from our forced "hibernation". 
    Our good health is our best defense against COVID.
    Fabric face mask is a rising industry in Taytay. A vendor is preparing his display. I take a picture and when he sees me,  asks me if I am would like to order in bulk. Nope, just passing by.
    It may sound insensitive and selfish but I am starting to enjoy the silence and the inactivity of the lock down. It is a long needed break from the noise and pollution from vehicles and human activity. Of course, behind the serenity are people stressed and suffering from economic losses and there is a high probability of starvation unless everybody chipped in to help the most vulnerable members of our community
   Yesterday I saw my neighbors playing bingo. It was humurous becuase they observed the one meter social distancing rule. They were having fun at the arrangement and seeing them laughing and having fun brings a bit of normalcy in this stressful time.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...