Friday, March 27, 2020

DAY 13 (Community Quarantine)


      FOOD-In a time like this it is best to avoid food that whets the appetite and teases the sweet tooth to prevent overeating. The primary consideration should be nutrition. 
     I am paying for eggs when a guy, can't ID his face because he's wearing a surgical mask, tells me that he is concerned about food. "We are eating a lot of preservatives," he said, showing a kilo of hotdogs.

      I am tempted to say that it does not have to be that way but changed my mind and instead nodded in agreement. I don't want to prolong the conversation seeing a lot of people are in line.   
     Looking around, I don't see how he thinks that way. I mean, there's plenty of fresh produce to choose from and there are no signs of the supply drying out due to the quarantine. 
    In fact, I find it more economical to buy vegetables. For a hundred pesos I can buy  a carrot and a cucumber, camote tops, two pieces of eggplants, saluyot, etc. Most of the time we just steam cook them, saves energy and cooking oil, condiments, etc. 
    Of course this works for us since we are all adults, but with children around, this diet plan may prove to be difficult. But then again, it is worth a try. It's a waste to have survived COVID only to end up with liver or kidney problems.
    There is no reason to panic and to stock up on processed food. The best rule to keep is MOVABA moderation, variety, balance and a bit of comfort food here and there to treat ourselves, not the other way around. Anyway, We are all dying and with proper nutrition, we are only delaying the inevitable.
     BACK YARD GARDENING- When the president said explore your house, this is I did. I re-discovered the backyard.
     I am aghast to see that it has become a garbage dump for the neighbors. I am tempted to shout at the neighbors, berate them, but sanity prevented me. There is no use in creating enemies especially in this stressful time. I could be hacked to death by an irate neighbor and the fact that the vacant lot is neglected give them the idea to throw trash in there. I am at fault, too.
     I cleaned the backyard .Collected the accumulated trash. Then I planted alugbati, saluyot, papaya, camote, and put all my other bonsai materials there. 
     This is what is keeping me busy these days but I am afraid I may be overdoing it because I am having back pain from squatting down.
     WASH DAY- I do the laundry and my wife does the hanging of our clothes. While eating our lunch, my daughter noticed the number of white shirts hanging outside. "Why are your shirts all white?" She asks.
       "It's comfortable." I replied.
        She sometimes complain that I look the same all the time. 
        Anyway, this another proof that I do change my clothes everyday.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...