Friday, March 02, 2007

Ka Pepe's dead

Our neighbor Ka Pepe died. This made me think about death again.

My daughter and her playmates were making fun of Ka Pepe’s death. This is how it is with children, death is fun; nights when they are allowed to play hide and seek and other nocturnal children’s game without fear of scolding. As a child, death is like that for me too—a time for having fun.

Now that I’m nearing my middle age, and it’s becoming clear that death is just around the corner (I abused my body with alcohol and cigarette for almost two decade, plus the fact that my family is genetically cancerous, the odds are not in my favor that I will live to be a hundred years old).

Ka Pepe owns a sari-sari store. He closes his store late because he’s a widow. He’s been a widow for almost five years, and I noticed this: when he became a widow he became a late sleeper. I used to buy coffee at his store at midnight when I’m into one of my insomnia attack (yes, I drink coffee to cure my insomnia). I mean, I bought coffee from the guy regularly and the next few days he’s already dead!

His wife died about five years ago and the neighborhood talk is that his wife came for him, took him so that they can be re-united. This is how it is here; sundo (fetch) is the word.
Peaceful. Ka Pepe looked peaceful in his coffin.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...