Wednesday, March 14, 2007

That song, Again!


I can't really get Stevie Wonder's song "Used to be" out of my head. My older brother had already posted the lyrics of the song here so that I would not have to lose sleep trying to find the words but my memory is not how it used to be. I consider the song the best song ever written and the way it is sung is...hmmm...touching. It touches many things from family to church to human rights etc. but without the anger and the bitterness (well, in the way it is sung, I suppose) of folk singers. And the ending is so appropriate. Maybe this song should be sung in churches. I'm posting the lyrics here.
-
Used To Be
by Charlene and Stevie Wonder
--
Superman was killed in Dallas
There's no love left in the palace
Someone took the Beatles lead guitar
--
Have another Chivas Regal
You're twelve years oldAnd sex is legal
Your parents don't know where Or who you are
--
Used to be the hero
Of the ball game
Took the time to shake
The loser's hand
Used to be that failure
Only meant you didn't try
In a world where people Gave a damn
--
Great big wars in little places
Look at all those frightened faces
But don't come hereWe just don't have the room
--
Love thy neighbor's wife and daughter
Cleanse your life with holy water
We don't need to bathe
We've got perfume
--
Used to be a knight in shining armor
Didn't have to own a shiny car
Dignity and courage
Were the measure of a man
Not the drugs he needs
To hide the scar Whoa, oh, oh, oh....
--
Can your teacher read
Does your preacher pray
Does your president have soul
Have you heard a real good Ethnic joke today
Mama took her speed
Daddy ran away
But you musn't lose control
--
Let's cut a class
I got some grass
The kids are wild
We just can't tame em
Do we have the rightTo blame em
--
We fed em all our indecision
We raped their minds with television
But what the hellThey're too young to feel pain
--
I believe thatLove can save tomorrow
I believe the truthCan make us free
Someone tried to say it
And we nailed him to a cross
I guess it's still the wayIt used to be

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...