Thursday, January 04, 2007

Creation

“The man cried out to God, “Lord I need a companion”. ‘
“Haven’t I given you all the animals?” The Lord replied.
“But Lord I need someone like me,” said the man. “I need someone who will serve me.”
“I see, but that will cost you your arm and your leg,” said the Lord.
“Why, that’s pretty expensive Lord,” the man complained. “Can’t you give me something cheaper?”
“Okay,” the Lord smiled. “For a rib I will give you a woman.”

Gen 2:21 Then the LORD God made the man fall into a deep sleep, and while he was sleeping, he took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the flesh.
Gen 2:22 He formed a woman out of the rib and brought her to him.
Gen 2:23 Then the man said, "At last, here is one of my own kind--- Bone taken from my bone, and flesh from my flesh. 'Woman' is her name because she was taken out of man."

After a few days the man called on the Lord.

“Lord, the woman is driving me mad,” the man complained.
“That’s what you get for a rib,” said the Lord. “That’s what you get for a rib.”

This is my recreation of a sermon I heard last year in Baguio City. It’s funny and at the same time sad for stories like these, especially served from the pulpit, reflects a chauvinistic political incorrectness in pastoral theology blah, blah, blah. I mean its wrong even just to elicit laughter from the congregation it’s still wrong.

Anyway, I like this one better:

The woman was not taken from the man’s head…
Nor from the feet
But from the ribs
So that she will not be above him or below him
But so that she will be close to his heart –an equal.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...