Friday, December 01, 2006

Pacquiao

I remember Manny Pacquiao’s first US fight. I forgot who his opponent was, but there’s one thing that I will never forget in that event. Manny was an unknown fighter then, so the ring announcer did not know how to pronounce Manny’s last name, Pacquiao. And this is how I heard the ring announcer say it, promise this is how I heard it: “From the Phiiiiiiliiiiippines, Maaaaannnnnnny, THE PAAAAAC----MAN, Peeeeeeeyyyyykkkkkkk-----yyyuuuuuuu!!!!” It was hilarious. But I think I was the only one who heard the mispronunciation because there were no commentaries on the “intimate way” Manny’s last name was announced.

Of course, Manny is now up there; he’s now famous. I watched his last fight against that Mexican punching bag (I forgot the forgettable guy’s name) but I was not really interested in the fight. What I paid attention to was how the ring announcer would pronounce Manny’s last name again. This time they got the pronunciation right, it’s just the syllabication that I’m having problem with. This is how I heard it (promise): “From the Phiiiiliiiiippines, Maaaannnnnnnyyyyy, THE PAAAAAC---MAN, Paaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk----yaaaooooowwwwwww.”

Must be in my head, must be all in my head, must be...must be…I mean…

Why can’t they just say “Pakyaw”!


Pacquiaotion


I don’t know what’s wrong with this nation
You have a congressman driving Manny the champion
You have mayors and a governor acting as his chaperons
You have every predatory politician giving him adulation
With no intention
But to squeeze dry media mileage from the champion

There’s more to this concatenation
Of insane proposition
For there’s plan to tempt the champion
To run as vice mayor of the capitol of the nation
In this coming election

I hope the champion
Will not cave in to the temptation
Because politics is no sports competition
It is the science of self aggrandization
And a systematic conspiracy of pilfering the nation



I say leave alone the champion
Let him sing atonal musical compositions
Let him promote products from vinegar to butox injections
Let him dance with poor coordination
Let him box till his evaporation
Just leave alone the champion
For we have enough survivor of brain and heart amputation
Running the capital and the nation
Towards economic and moral perdition

Leave Manny Pacquiao alone to his destination
And that is to be the greatest boxer of the nation

Forget the damned election


(I’m sick of Pacquiao…not the man, but the hype.)

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...