Friday, December 15, 2006

Flood

I was floating. I was in a boat (actually a large wash basin). The boat was being pulled by my older sister. She was laughing and the next thing I knew I was drowning. Then a hand pulled me out of the water. Hugged me and asked me if I was all right. I can’t talk because I swallowed water. I didn’t know if I cried. But I can’t forget the look of worry on my sister’s face. “I just turned my head for a second and then you were gone!” She told me. She was so worried. I was choking. My mother was screaming (or maybe not).

That was a choppy recollection of how our family deal with floods when we were young—we had fun.

This can’t be done today because the floods of today are floods of garbage. Not floodwater with garbage but garbage of flood with floodwater.

The disposable culture that the west brought to the Philippines is finally taking its toll on us.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...