Sunday, April 15, 2012

Aquarium stuff...

Hmmmm...One of the things that do whenever I am near waters like on a beach, or rivers, or lakes, is that I look around for stuff. I keep aquariums for a hobby and once in a while I like to change the set up by putting driftwood, shell, rocks or pebbles etc. things that I find near waters.

I found this driftwood on the beach in Gumaca Quezon. Hardwood  are the best driftwood because of their density they do not float and they do not discolor the aquarium. Roots also make good driftwood for the aquarium. Another thing, for aesthetics, it must be gnarled, or has holes, or has many branches or something for the fish to hide. Don't forget to disinfect  it first by submerging it in water and bleach solution before putting the driftwood in the aquarium. An aquarium is a controlled ecology and the fish in there are cultured so they may not have the immunity to fight off microorganisms found in the driftwood. Driftwood costs around two-three hundred pesos in petshops.
Here I disinfected the driftwood and the pebbles in a bleach solution for three or more hours. Of course, care must also be taken in rinsing the bleach off them. Care must be taken in rinsing off the chemical bleach off the wood and the pebbles; does no good to kill the microorganisms only to kill the fish by chemical poisoning. Rinse by submerging them in water for the same period of time and this time add anti chlorine solution to the water then rinse with running water for a few minutes.


Have fun with with the variety of colors. A kilo of pebbles costs from twenty to thirty pesos  in petshops.

Here's how the driftwood look like in the aquarium. (Hmmm...beter do something with the electrical wiring.) Anyway,  I loke aquarium because they are relaxing and the negative ions released by water is...hmmm...I don;t know if this is true...so nevermind... but the moisture released by the aquariums help to humidify the air inside the house. Also no allergens and no poop to clean, requires  minimal maintenance and the fish feed is very affordable.

But the best thing about aquariums is that they are relaxing to look at..


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...