Thursday, January 19, 2012

Impeachment blah,blah, blah...


The legal expert versus the illegal expert :-)



I was entertained (though I admit that I understood only a small fraction of his gobbledygook) by the performance of Corona’s lead defense counsel former justice Serafin Cuevas on last night’s impeachment trial against the Chief Justice. I was impressed by his knowledge of the technicalities and the intricacies of the law (not really surprising because he is a former justice), but what really got my attention was how he stymied the prosecution by pointing out glaring (i.e. to lawyers) errors in the manner of questioning of the prosecution’s witness Atty. Vidal that lead to Senate President/Judge Juan Ponce Enrile commenting that the prosecution cannot impeach their own witness. If it were not for the interpolations of other senators especially Senator Drillon, the prosecution would have totally lost the whole day in favor of the defense i.e. from the spectators perspective.

Maybe that is why the Romans preferred assassinations than impeachment: less talk and inexpensive.

I do not know law or legalities or any of that stuff; common sense is what I, like most common folks, rely on. Common sense dictates that decisions made by a collegial body of 14 justices cannot be attributed or  credited solely and held against solely to the chief justice unless the chief justice has some magical vulcan-mind-meld-hypnotical-mesmerical- power over the rest of his colleagues to vote favoring GMA. The justices have their own reasons--noble or ignoble--to favor GMA, and it is difficult to imagine the CJ to sway all the justices; the fact that there are dissenters who favored Pinoy--for noble or ignoble reasons-- shows that there was deliberations and discussions about the decisions. I think this article of impeachment is an insult to the rest of the justices.

Why not, in the name of consistency and fairness, impeach the rest of the justices who voted for decisions favoring GMA? I mean, they all voted favorably.

I am not saying CJ Corona should not be impeached. What I’m saying is that this article in the impeachment complaint seems to be hmmm…somehow…wrong. Illuminate me please...



No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...