Thursday, January 05, 2012

On Motivations and Idols, Icons and other nonsense




 As a motivation for my industrial arts pupils, I did a simple arithmetic on the amount of water lost due to a leaking faucet and I translated this loss into money. I hope they get an idea of the amount. I think this is a good way of motivating them to learn some simple maintenance job in their homes.

Hmmm…this is weird really. While doing the math, my mind (the other one that is because the other part of my mind is engaged in teaching, does not mean I have schizophrenia or something) wandered off to looking at the pupils, looking into their eyes and thinking of what they were doing and at the same time thinking of how their minds process the motivation that teachers (and parents) throw at them.

I am not talking about motivation that teachers use to prepare their pupils’ interest to the lesson at hand; I’m talking about the motivation thrown at the children about what they do, why they study; the things that fuel or nudge them to strive.

Got me wondering…

The norm for graduation or special events is to invite successful (most of them financially successful) people to talk to inspire, to challenge and to share their experiences on their way up to achievement, to share the challenges and how these challenges were overcome and, of course, the meat of the speeches the secret/s to their success.   



Of course, the audiences are all ears, taking note and processing the speeches with the thinking that maybe they could duplicate in whole or in part some of the successes achieved by the speaker/s.

Hmmmm…but this got me thinking…

Let us take for instance Manny Pacquiao.

 The press has been building a myth around the man as an icon of success. He is being hailed as a paragon of a successful sports figure, businessman, politician (though personally I think this is not his court), and even that of a faithful family man. This is beside the fact that he has sired a child at least with one woman. I mean his action like manipulating the mother of his illegitimate son into agreeing into a disadvantageous settlement showed Pacquiao’s insensitivity and irresponsibility by denying this son the right the child should have enjoyed as a son, even an illegitimate one, both financially and emotionally. Never the women who I think took advantage of Pacquiao, it’s the child.




Anyway, just shows that Pacquiao is not the Bible toting and Bible quoting person that he is supposed to be. He is a human being after all.


Anyway, almost most of the leaders and motivational speakers I have heard (not necessarily listened to) have used Pacquiao as a model. Nothing's wrong with this, per se, but I still believe that there are more better person to idolize than him. But is it possible to duplicate MP's sucess? 

How about Bill gates? How about the late Steve Jobs? How about the cousin that became a millionaire? How about Lady Gaga, How about Alvin and the Chipmunks? How about…

I don’t know about this…but I think when a person starts to have idols, or models to look up to, they, somehow, lose something in them. Of course, it can be argued that by loosing something in themselves, they, in the process have gained something in themselves. This is like nature abhorring vacuum or the principle that no two things (or entity) could occupy space at the same time.

Anyway, aside from the parents and the teachers who are inevitably the firsts people that directly influence the primary development of an individual’s identity, these idols or icons (pop or cultural or intellectual or religious or cartoons characters or what have you) have great influences on the further development of an individual’s identity including his/her understanding of the world or reality (going way over my head here).

Of course, in the development of an individual’s self or identity, it is impossible to happen without the influence or interference of factors, this is inevitable. It is impossible for an individual to come into his self awareness without the influence of everything around him/her.

What is, I think, happening is that when looking up to someone as a model, the self has to give something of its own. In the development of the self, there is the tendency to think that the mind is a blank slate, a tabula rasa, but there is the thinking that this is not necessarily so. The mind is not exactly blank but it has built in or aprio ri transcendental something that makes the mind an active organ and not just a sponge or passive organ where information or experiences are inputted.

Anyway, where am I?

Having someone to look up to both positive or negative, means that a part of an individual’s identity is lost or if one is an admirer of the tabula rasa theory, some how the individual’s self awareness is redirected outside. This is not necessarily bad nor is it necessarily good. Like I said before, this is just inevitable.

Anyway, as the individual age this influences or models or icons start to assert its supremacy over the individual. There are then tensions that happen in the person’s self awareness. There are parts of an individual that rejects this invasion of the self, by these influences, while there are parts that fights for its assimilation.  

To the artists, as is true with development, the first stage is imitation. Anyway, (my-co teacher interrupted and I lost my already disorganized train of thought) there will come a time when the self, somehow, need to assert it’s own self, it rebels and wants to eject this influences to establish its own identity. I don’t know but maybe this is similar to what is called the identity crisis, maybe it is. Who cares…

Got me thinking, somehow, to the listeners of these motivational speakers, or when looking up to someone as an ideal or a paragon, most of them want to duplicate the success but most of the time they lose themselves.


Blah,blah,blah, gosh, my one hour break is over and being called by my pupils…how time flies! 

If you got this far and maybe wandering what in the frak (got this word from Battlestar Galactica Reimagined) am I talking about, I congratulate you...really I'm just passing my break time :-)

But if you're looking for Freudian slips...do have fun :-)






No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...