Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday, Monday





I sometimes wonder why most people hate Mondays. Monday is an ordinary day; it has 24 hours, just like  the other days of the week. It has a sunrise and sunset too. Now, what is it about Monday that makes us hate this day.

Maybe we hate Mondays because it precedes Sunday. Sunday, for most of us, is a rest day, worship day. It is the day that we forget about work and spend our time to worship in our churches and to spend time with our family, friends and pets. We try to make up, in that twelve waking hours, the moments we have spent away from our loved ones, spending quality time with them. And Monday is just unlucky because it is the day that follows Sunday, an anti climactic day, sort of.

Me, I don’t hate Mondays; I just don’t like it. Why? The school does flag ceremonies on Monday and Fridays. I am the flag ceremony man in the school. So, I have to wake up earlier than usual; I have to prepare the sound system and make sure that the flag ceremony starts on time. I am the first to arrive at the school gym and I am also the last to leave because I have to keep the amplifiers, the equalizers and other sound system stuff back into the store room. I also had to make sure that exhaust fans are off; the gates are closed and the door to the storeroom locked and secured. Am not really complaining, just telling my story here.

When I was still a student, I hated Mondays because this was the day I usually found out that I had not done my assignments and projects—promises to do homework on Sundays was an impossibility. I had to write paragraphs, answer questions, and read stuffs while my first period teachers was busy writing something on the board. So, I was thinking and doing so many things at the same time: dodging the teacher, writing, thinking, copying from classmates etc. Monday was a really stressful day during my student’s day. Now as a teacher, whenever I do my discussions, I walk around the classroom and observe whether things are still the same; they are. I smile and sometimes laugh whenever I catch pupils who are doing their homework during my class hours because I was once in their shoes too. Of course, I reprimand them but most of the times I just smile, that is, if i'm in a good mood. Otherwise...they'll get hell from me.

Hmmm...being a teacher is not really that different from being a student, come to think of it. I still have to do lesson plans which most teachers do not do on Mondays and not on Sundays. So, this time, instead of dodging teachers,  I am dodging the principal and master teachers.Hmmm...

Really, I have nothing to talk about here. I am just making use of my break to write something on this blog, a habit, sort of. Anyway, here's a good song about Monday from the Mamas and the Papas Lyrics below, do sing along because these guys sure knew their harmony.





Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.

Monday Monday, can't trust that day,
Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh Monday Monday, how yould cou leave and not take me.

Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time

Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.

Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time

Monday Monday, ...

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...