Monday, August 20, 2007

A Wet Week


Monday the weather was fine; I went to school. Then on Tuesday it rained so hard that at noon, after the students were in already at school, the government suspended classes. After analyzing the weather and their mistakes and afraid that they’d do it again—the late suspension of classes, the government suspended classes on Wednesday. Of course the weather has cleared then, so, my daughter and I had the whole day. Then on Thursday it rained hard again and classes were suspended again, and the government not wanting to be caught with their rain gauge down also suspended classes on Friday. It’s weekend already and the most beautiful thing about it all is that Monday is a non-working holiday!


Almost a week of sleeping late reading, typing and, forgive me for I have sinned, a whole day spent playing computer games. I have a thesis to revise and I haven’t finished it yet. I love the weather that I don’t want it ruined by this monster called thesis. Anyways, all the thesis needs is a few revisions here and there.

I read a book (it’s one of those books that is so boring but also interesting) on John Wesley titled “The Radical Wesley” written by Howard A. Snyder. There’s an interesting bit about Susannah Wesley, John’s mother:


Samuel Wesley often traveled to London on church and political business, leaving Susannah and the large family alone at Epworth. In early 1712, while Samuel was on prolonged absence, Susannah began a small meeting in the parsonage…

A few neighbors asked to attend, then others, so that the group soon grew from about thirty persons to over 200. At these gatherings Mrs. Wesley would read a sermon, pray and talk with the people who came.

This new venture caused a stir in Epworth and some friction between Susannah and her husband, Samuel liked the theory but not the practice. He objected to these meetings because they were led by a woman, might cause him some embarrassment and would be seen by some as a coventicle, a private, separatist religious gathering.

Susannah defended herself with two masterful letters to her husband on February 6 and 25, 1712.

“If you do, after all, think fit to dissolve this assembly, do not tell me that you desire me to do it, for that will not satisfy my conscience: but send me your positive command, in such full and express terms, as may absolve me from all guilt and punishment for neglecting this opportunity of doing good, when you and I shall appear before the great and awful tribunal of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.”

The meetings was stopped when Samuel Wesley returned from London…but one sees hints of the dynamic which would be released two decades later under the leadership of Susannah’s son, John and Charles Wesley.

What a mother!

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...