Sunday, November 19, 2006

Song Attack

I’ve barely felt the two weeks sembreak and now its back to the class room again. My new class schedule tells me that I have to readjust my biological clock. Morning classes! This will be a challenge. I am a nocturnal person and it is a torture for me to wake up at six in the morning, but wake up I must. This means that there will be time that I will be in class with not a minute of sleep.
I remember when I had this “song attack.”
I was sleeping when I was jolted from sleep because of a song that suddenly entered my dream:
“Superman was killed in Boston”… what was the title of that song? I woke up and asked myself. I forgot. Better get back to sleep.
“Superman was killed in Boston”…Stevie Wonder and who’s that singing with him? Who is she? Better get back to sleep. It’s already ten o’clock and I have classes tomorrow. I must get back to sleep.
“Let’s cut the class, I’ve got some grass, the kids are wild….” What are the next words? “We just can’t blame them? “Or we just can’t tame them”…Why can’t I get that song out of my head? I better get that song out of my head. Wash my face. Do a little weight lifting and get back to bed.
“There’s no love in the palace…” Aaaah gotta get that song out of my head. Read. Write on my computer. Read. It’s already twelve o’clock I must get back to sleep!
I’m sleepy. “Superman was killed in Boston…” I must get this song out of my head. Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. “And someone took away the Beatle’s lead guitar….”
“Superman was killed in Boston…” I give up! I’ll just read. I’m sleepy. Better get back to bed before that song…”Lets cut the class…”
It’s already one o’clock, and I have classes tomorrow.
“Superman was killed in Boston…” Grrrrrrr
Two O’clock and I still can’t sleep. I’ll read again. Get back to bed.
“Superman was killed in Boston….”
Three o’clock
“Superman was killed in Boston…”
Four o’clock….
“Let’s cut the class…”
Where is that song coming from?
Five o’clock
The alarm went off and my wife is already awake.
“You’re early or you didn’t sleep again?” My wife asked.
“No, I just want to review my notes that’s why I’m up early.” I lied.
Six o’clock
Took a bath…
“There’s no love left in the palace….”
Seven o’clock at school…
Sleepy and haggard, “Where’s that song?”
“I need to stay awake, broadcast you song!” Broadcast!”
Eight o’clock
Silent…no song…sleepy…zzzzzzzzz
“George any comments?” An instructor asked.
“Slurp, ahhhh, the—tion, of the ---tion, pardon the question ma’am?”
(Where are you song why won’t you broadcast?!)

2 comments:

Joey said...

I know your being delusional. But this might help :-) Now I remember also like the song now that you write about it. But there's no way i can listen to it in here. Cheer up they will broadcast it eventually.

Used To Be
by Charlene and Stevie Wonder

Superman was killed in Dallas
There's no love left in the palace
Someone took the Beatles lead guitar
Have another Chivas Regal
You're twelve years old
And sex is legal
Your parents don't know where
Or who you are

Used to be the hero
Of the ball game
Took the time to shake
The loser's hand

Used to be that failure
Only meant you didn't try
In a world where people
Gave a damn

Great big wars in little places
Look at all those frightened faces
But don't come here
We just don't have the room

Love thy neighbor's wife and daughter
Cleanse your life with holy water
We don't need to bathe
We've got perfume

Used to be a knight in shining armor
Didn't have to own a shiny car
Dignity and courage
Were the measure of a man
Not the drugs he needs
To hide the scar

Whoa, oh, oh, oh....

Can your teacher read
Does your preacher pray
Does your president have soul
Have you heard a real good
Ethnic joke today

Mama took her speed
Daddy ran away
But you musn't lose control

Let's cut a class
I got some grass
The kids are wild
We just can't tame em
Do we have the right
To blame em

We fed em all our indecision
We raped their minds with television
But what the hell
They're too young to feel pain

I believe that
Love can save tomorrow
I believe the truth
Can make us free

Someone tried to say it
And we nailed him to a cross
I guess it's still the way
It used to be

George C. dela Paz said...

Beautiful song

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...