Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Walk Talk2

The rainy season is starting to subside.

I usually end my afternoon walk at five to six o’clock in the afternoon. But lately, I started going home late; around seven to eight in the evening—so my afternoon walks is extended to evening walks. I’m beginning to enjoy night walking. It’s a different world when you walk at night alone.

Darwin liked night walking too. Of course, that does not mean anything; it’s just that I wonder how many ideas he conceived while walking.

The executive village where I take my walks now have a night guard. The guard has a lonely outpost with no electricity. His only companion is his walkie talkie. He always sat on a plastic chair and whenever I pass by him, he would always ask me “are you going home?” To which I would reply “two more rounds brother, two more rounds.” I don’t know, but it must be lonely guarding a concrete road.

I would sometime see high school girls with their boyfriends making out at the darkest and grassy part of the circumferential road where I walk; the joys and adventure of youth. I just hope they don’t get pregnant; lots of gays making it out with guys too.

There was a man on a bike with a sack. I can hear the kittens meowing and I know what the guy is up to. He is throwing the kittens away.

The mosquitoes attracted by the heat of my body follows me wherever I go. I can’t drive them away, so, I just let them be.

I’m imagining the old lady that I once met who I think is already dead. I’m imagining what I will do in case I met her. Goosebumps. But sometimes we have to overcome this natural fear of ghosts and roaming spirits though sometimes I felt like running like mad. The lonely guard must have a lot of ghost stories to tell.

Meeting a large black dog on a dark road is very, very unnerving. I almost peed in my pants.
The trees are different at night. They seem to come alive. They start to have flesh and clothes and arms and legs… during the day you can see the branches but at night you can’t. So, the effect is the leaves and the branches seemed to merge into solid limbs and torso; they became human like, menacing…the illusions of moon shadow.

Looking up you see the stars. People seldom look at the stars today. Look at the people walking at night and they don’t care if there’s the heaven or there’s a star…nothing; just goes on with their lives. One of the reasons why people are not close to God anymore is because humanity conquered night. When what we all see is the power of humanity, technology, science, buildings…I don’t know, but something is taken away from God. The rural people are closer to God because they see the power of God daily. From their environment to their daily struggle for existence, they feel the power of God. In the city all one can see is the power of man. From the environment, to climate control, to communication, to instant noodles, people are not afraid of the night anymore. But when an earthquake occurs, or when a supertyphoon blows, or when floods arrive, people in the city remember God because they suddenly realized that there are things beyond their powers, their control, their technology and science, but when things get back to normal, its back to techno-worship, ego worship, and botox worship.


It is peaceful walking at night. Try it.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...