Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Old Man and the Sea


“Age is my alarm clock,” the old man said.
“Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have a longer day?”
“I don’t know,” the boy said. “All I know is that young boys sleep late and hard.”
“I can remember it,” the old man said.

Sometimes when I’m reading a book and came across a passage that just grabs me, I freeze and think. The above passage taken from Hemingway’s “The Old man and the Sea” is an example. When I had read this book a few years ago, I didn’t even bother to finish the book. It was boring. But on my later rereading and when I came across the above passage, I froze. I was affected.

Why do old men wake so early?

When you’re aging time begins to have a different dimension--it becomes precious, so precious that sleep begins to become a waste of it.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...