Sunday, October 07, 2018

What did I jut see?



I was there, sitting near the sound system,  resisting the urge to leave but I was reluctant to because I felt guilty for not participating in the grade 6 dance number and watching therm or supporting my teammate while performing is the least I can do. Besides, I didn't want to appear to be a kill joy.

My co-teachers in grade six with our school head Mrs. Aileen SG. Martinez, center back row dancing to "Always" and "Spaghetti Pababa".

I guess it's a mixed feeling of watching and leaving, ambivalence.

Anyway, once the music played and my fellow teachers climbed on the stage and started dancing, plus the audience's reaction, I was hooked. I could not recall the titles of their dance numbers (I was planning to write this post right after the program but....) but I enjoyed watching my co-teachers enjoy what that they were doing, and at the risk of being called a sadist, I. most of all found pleasure with the tortured look on the faces of teachers who obviously has neither the feet nor the ear for dancing but did gave their best to perform.

MT Lisa Basbas with Mr. Jayson Marquez.

The irreverent jokes and comments of MT Liza Basbas were so funny and so politically incorrect that she gave me a head ache, sign of asphyxiation, maybe, from too much laughing. Of course Mr. Jayson Marquez's orthodox hosting gave the  duo a balanced, sort of, not sure here, hehehehe flavor. 

GPTA Muslim Dance

The GPTA's Muslim dance blew me away. The music, the graceful movements or steps what-ever-you-call-them, and the colorful costume was a sight to behold. This took the bacon for me. The parents gave it their best.

GPTA "Sayaw sa Kuyo".
Another number given by GPTA members, though not as colorful and not as complicated as the Muslim dance, the simplicity and serenity of the dance did make its own impression on me. Art is about contrast and not which one is better, it is about complementing, and both the GPTA's performance has that artistic contrast.


Pupils also did their best to show their talent in showcasing our folk dances. 


Teachers were serenaded by pupils to show their appreciation.


The special part of the night was the recognition given to all the teachers by the school head for their contributions to the advancement of the institution.

There was a lot of negative thoughts and misgivings about the teacher's day cultural show and personally I have expressed my personal view that teachers day should not be used to raised funds for whatever reasons but that's water under the bridge. It's a personal opinion and opinions are opinions, nothing more unless one sees the logic in it it could sway views, otherwise expressing an opinion is an exercise in futility which unfortunately (or fortunately), I seem to have the tendency to.

But I guess most everyone or in this case most teacher need to go through the three steps of acceptance:

1. Resistance
2. Denial
3. Acceptance

 I don't know if this makes sense but you get the drift.

Note: All photos were stolen from various FB accounts.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...