Sunday, September 30, 2018

Afternoon Classes/ SF stories

Dep Ed Divison of Rizal held a clinic for its student journalists for the upcoming regional schools press conference. It was a two day affair from Friday September 28 to Saturday the 29th. An emergency class was declared by the school head which meant there was no morning classes for us. 

My classroom was reserved to be used by the guests fortunately it was not, it was used on Saturday. I was waiting the whole morning and to pass the time I opened the e-book files on my cellphone and read classic SF short.

The first one I read was "The Shroud." It was a short story about the shroud of Turin. The Shroud of Turin was believed by many to contain the body of Jesus Christ, and although skeptics have challenged it's authenticity, many still held on to the belief that it was the proof that Christian savior existed.


In the story, the shroud was accepted as true and that the cadaver wrapped in the cloth was undeniably Jesus. A Eucharistic or nondenominational order was established to keep the shroud and to make sure it was open for all and not owned or kept by one of the many Christian denominations.

One scientist was allowed to study the DNA in the shroud and he found out, thru the analysis of the chromosomes, that the crucified subject suffered from a disease that shrinks the brain which results to delusions.

Of course the mad messiah was one of the theories used by theologians to explain Jesus and his messianic claim. Even the Romans said that to the man claiming to be the son of God. There's nothing new about it but the impact of such discovery to Christianity is unimaginable, or maybe not. I mean no one can dislodge a fanatical believer from his faith.  

I was smiling when I finished reading A.C. Clarke"s "Stroke of the Sun". I mean, watching a football and you noticed the opposing team's fan were all holding a foil like tabloid sized souvenir given by politicians. When the team was cheated by the referee and the team's fanatics, together with the planted people who knew the purpose of the souvenir focused them on the referee, it obliterated the referee, burning the poor guy to ashes.


Although these classic sci-fi were dated ( Asimov's computer was called Multivac becuase vacuum tube were the tech used in computers in the 50's and 60's) the story especially the twist was entertaining. 

Of course the science is not important, the story was and its what I like about the classics, it is not overburdened by technicalities and the need to get scientific but the idea was there.

I was so entertained that I didn't noticed that I had read twelve of short stories.

Living Space-Isaac Asimov
Silly Asses-Asimov 
The Jokester-Asimov
The Parasite-Arthur C. Clarke
Second Dawn-Clarke
The Stroke of the Sun-Clarke
A Walk in the dark-Clarke
The Nine Billion Names of God-Clarke
Green Hills of Earth-Robert Heinlein

From Sci-Arizona (www.scifi-az.com) 

Dream world
Duty-Honor-Planet
The Shroud

 I do miss the time when I could read an entire novel in one sitting. 

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...