Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Mobile off line for two days

It's carelessness.

I put my cellphone on the table and went on to do something else. I am often like this, absentmindedly putting things on places which, of course, I often forget. So, its not unusual to find plant shears on top of the ref, remote control in the shoe rack, or keys inside the bathroom, etc. I keep losing things which I often find in the most unusual places which to my wife has become so predictable that she could tell where to find them before my blood pressure shoots up to seizure level from searching.

Not my CP. Mine is an Oppo Neo 5. Picture is just hmmm...an illustration, I guess.

What happened was, I put the cell phone on the table without checking the surface that was wet from from the accumulated droplets of the iced cold water dripping from the water pitcher. My unit was an Oppo Neo 5 which has a built in battery which I could not remove. I tried turning it off, but I couldn't. So, the phone was on all the time the water was seeping in thus short circuiting the electronics inside.

Not our table. Ours is not as nice as this one.
It's been two days and I am starting to feel the effect of being offline. I am worried that I am missing communications from work, family, friends: disconnected. I am stressed, I keep reaching for my dead phone trying to turn it on. This compounded by the fact that my wife and daughter are busy with their mobile social media while I.. It'a driving me crazy. Anyway, it's a good thing I have a desktop, which I have not used for social media (except for blogging) for a long time, to check my FB and Messenger accounts.  

I cannot imagine how the lost of an implement could have this effect on me and I guess this is true to most people. 

To the millennial or the digital natives, I can understand the impact of the loss of a cell phone since they have been with the technology from the very beginning, but for someone like me who have seen the last phase vacuum tube era, lived through the transition from transistors to digital computers and have been with the online world for only about a decade, I mean...

I guess the technology has been so imbued in my systems for it is with me most of the time. It has become an appendage, another organ that allows me to connect to people, have access to information, and allows me to channel a lot of things thoughts both positive and negative to the world with the freedom I have not experienced before.


Note: Been talking to an Indian national on borrowing some cash to buy a new Cell Phone. We're still negotiating.




No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...