Monday, March 05, 2012

DVD series


I have been watching sci-fi series on DVD as a sort of an escape. I mean, I don’t drink nor do I take drugs and watching sci-fi is the next best thing to flying out into the atmosphere for fun. Anyway, it seems that most of the theme of today’s sci-fi has to do with time travel, entanglement and alternate reality.



Last night, I watched the final episode of “Lost”; and to tell the truth, I really loved the show. The series was about the survivors of a plane crash that landed on a mysterious island. I bought the DVD without googling about the show so I had no idea what it was all about. But after watching the first few episodes, I got hooked and addicted to it. I thought it was a simple human drama about human drama, but then the episodes got crazier and crazier especially the season enders that got me hooked and drove me crazy looking for the DVD of the next season up to the point that I had to beg the bootleg DVD vendor to get me the complete collection of the series. Also the series was done using flash back and flash forward  which was kind of weird because I already knew what happened but still I had to find out how it happened. There was also an alternate reality part which was like watching a series within a series which was a little confusing but once I got the hang of it, quite enjoyable.


Anyway,   what I liked about the series was it’s mixture of drama, psychology, love story, mythology, physics etc. and I really had this connection with characters especially John Locke. I also noticed that a lot of the characters were named after philosophers and many of the themes tackled in the series were very much philosophical and theological.  



Flash Forward is also an interesting series that unfortunately lasted only one season because of low ratings. The premise of the series is that the world had a planet wide black out (or the planet had a world wide black out) for 2 minutes and 17   seconds which during the black out the whole world had a glimpse of six months into the future. Investigation were made and they found out that these glimpses were all interrelated and that each individual recollection of the glimpses during black out could be pieced together to construct the world six months from now to figure out how or what caused the black out and to prevent another similar future event from happening. So, the psychological effect of knowing that the future is already determined is one of the main theme of the series—sort of a determinism vs. freewill thing. 



I am now into the 4400. Four thousand four hundred people disappeared abducted by a beam of light from 1946 to the present. These were thought to be alien abductions. Then into the present, a comet appeared threatening the planet. The comet was intercepted but the missiles did not destroy it. It continued on its trajectory and deposited the 4400 returnees.  Well, anyway...still watching the series.

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...