Saturday, March 17, 2012

Boys and holes on the floor





The first thing I did when I arrived at school on Monday was to nail a piece of plywood to cover a hole on my classroom's floor. I should have done this a long, long time ago but I thought nothing about it because I was quite busy with work and with so many other things (like FB and blogging)  that I did not think about it.

My classroom was on the third floor of the building and below it was a grade three classroom. I have been receiving complaints from the teacher below that pieces of papers and candy wrappers were falling from their ceiling. Since my classroom was seldom used, the complaints were too few to physically act on it (really, I am just one lazy guy) so I just reminded the pupils not to insert papers or trash into the hole because the teacher below was getting angry. I did not have complains for a long time so I forgot about the hole on the floor that was until last Friday.

We were practicing our graduation song when I saw the grade three teacher, whose room was below mine, at my classroom door asking to enter the class. I immediately sensed that there was something wrong because she was red in the face. She walked around as if looking for something. She stopped; she was standing beside the hole on the floor and looking at the pupil who was sitting near it. My gulay, I understood how angry she must have felt because it turned out one of the grade six pupils was spitting into the hole on the floor. There were pupils below and naturally spit falling from the ceiling was one yucky, yucky and bad, bad thing to happen to defenseless grade three pupils. She took the grade six pupils with her and berated him and she asked to speak to his parents. I was quite embarrassed by what happened because if I had covered that hole, that pupil would not have been tempted to do a stupid thing like that. 

So, I did the thing I should have done a long time ago, cover the damned hole on the floor.



I don't know what it is with holes and boys. I mean, what is it that attracts them to hole whether it be on the floor, wall, bags, ceilings, hole in a tree...Boys (or men) are attracted to it as if by magic or some irresistible psychic and physical force or some kind of neurotic urge or something. I don't know maybe it has something to do with the way males are built, you know, sort of biological instinct to touch, to peep, to insert or put something into holes, must some Freudian-sex-subconscious phenomenon. Of course there are good things that comes out of it like that Dutch boy saving all of Holland from flooding because he inserted his finger in a hole on a dike, and, of course, there are... hmmmm... bad things too,  like teen age pregnancy.....

No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...