Thursday, March 29, 2012

Commencement Address for SGCS (sort of a testimony of a loser)


                                   

Good afternoon graduates.

Congratulations. Basic education is the most important part of your educational journey because without the basic skills and competencies you have acquired during these years, you would not be able to build upon, to proceed to the higher learning, the high school and the tertiary level.  

In the school where I am teaching it is the practice of the graduation committee to look for outstanding alumni; graduates who have done well. So, the speakers that have graced the podium were lawyers, doctors, managers, businessman, and politicians, people who have achieved financial success as well academic prominence; people who could inspire pupils to strive to be the best of what they could be.

Now, what is weird is that I am standing here in front of you a man with no financial success to speak of and no academic achievements to brag about. Truth to tell, my dear graduates, it took me almost twenty years to finish a degree in college.  I was thirty three years old when I woke to the fact that I have a family but I have no education and believe me, when a person has no education, finding a purpose in life is like a violin without its strings trying to find its part in an orchestra. So, DepEd's theme for 2012 graduates"Your Gift of Learning, Our tool for Nation  Building" very much reflects this understanding.

Our society is founded on the rule of utilitarian economy, that means everything and everyone must have a role to play and to contribute for the harmonious running and turning of our society. So we have the educators, then we have the builders, then we have the sciences, the humanities and so forth. So, to fit in into this economy or order of things, one must have the necessary education and trainings. We must accept the fact that natural intelligence and the Filipino’s propensity for discarte is not enough to cut it, or to assure a sustainable living in these trying times. You must have plans, a goal that you want to achieve. Your plan is not for yourself alone but you must take into considerations the truth that your education is also one of the fundamental building blocks for nation building. Take the time to plan your story now, your goal, your part in the society or else instead of a contributor to general welfare...pray that you or even one of you becomes a burden of our society.

Mine is not an inspiring story, it is in fact a depressing one. I have no success to speak of; I have a lot of failures to meander about. But despite it all, I have overcome and still overcoming experiences to talk about which I hope would warn and inspire both the graduates and the parents. My testimony is that of Solomon   pointing to the suffering and the failures shouting: Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets. Pro_1:20

Here’s my circumstance:  I graduated from elementary school a valedictorian of the batch; I have reached the regional level in science competitions and quiz bees. During sophomore year, I was an associate editor of the school paper. I was sent to regional science fairs and quiz bees. I also topped the National College Entrance Examination for the school that earned me an offer from Senator Salonga’s scholarship program. But I lost sight of things. I got so distracted that I have forgotten about my studies and instead I had fun. I was having fun while my classmates were earning degrees. I was having fun while my classmates were establishing a career.  I was having fun until I found out that I have run out of time.

Young as you are graduates; you must have a proper appreciation of time.  Ecc_3:1  To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. A writer has this to say about time: We came from the past which is no more; we go into the future which is not yet; ours is the present. The past is ours only in so far as we have still the present; and the future is ours only in so far as we have it already present. We possess the past by memory, and the future by anticipation. But what is the nature of present itself? If we look at it closely, we must say: it is a point without extension, the point in which the future becomes the past; when we say to ourselves, “This is the present,” the moment has already been swallowed by the past. The present disappears the very instant we grasp it. The present cannot be caught; it is always gone

Time is precious. Mat 26:7  A woman came in with a bottle of expensive perfume and poured it on Jesus' head.  But when his disciples saw this, they became angry and complained, "Why such a waste?  We could have sold this perfume for a lot of money and given it to the poor."  Jesus knew what they were thinking, and he said: Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing for me. You will always have the poor with you, but you won't always have me.  She has poured perfume on my body to prepare it for burial.  You may be sure that wherever the good news is told all over the world, people will remember what she has done. And they will tell others.

The Lord was thinking: this woman has done me good, she is spending money and more important she is spending time with me, "you will always have the poor."  Parents look at your children, in a few months from now, they will bean adult, you would not be able to hug them like a child, kiss them like a child, time will pass by so fast that do not let any moment of it pass without making the most of it especially with your children for time spent with them is time invested in them an investment whose interest is beyond monetary value. The more time you spent with your children, the stronger they become.  

I have learned the value of time only when so much of it has passed by me unproductively. Take very good care of your time. Your graduation from elementary school is not just an academic moving up it is also development from childhood to teen-ager or young adults. There will be lots of changes. In a few months, you will have already have moved on: new school, new friends, new ways of having fun a lot of new people and new things. There will be a lot of awakenings, and there be will a lot of surprises.   

Here are interesting facts:   Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year. The number is quite staggering.  To think that many of us could talk, walk, watch TV, almost do anything while texting who could imagine that such simple and harmless texting could take so many lives. An average video game player spends 23 hours per week playing computer games and if you add up all those seconds and minutes…great part of our lives is spent on things of little or of no consequence--purposeless. 

How about you parents how are you making sure you’re your children is not wasting their precious time…are you spending quality time with them. Quality time is not eating out in fastfood restaurants, it is not going out to Enchanted Kingdom, it is not cramming time into little time. Quality time is spending quantity time. Are you there when your children eat, when they study, when they get hurt. 

We have an internet connection in the house, and I have noticed that everytime I come home from work, my daughter was on the PC and I could not remove her from it.  What I did, was to cut the internet connection, so I saved money and I saved time and in the process, I may have saved our relationship. Internet, games, celphones are not bad if used properly…if not, think of the precious time lost. Imagine playing the violin 23 hours a week, imagine playing basketball or any sports 23 hours a week, and imagine reading books 23 hours a week…imagine the possibilities.

Time is what we all have. Time is where God's plans for us is revealed and happened.

God has plans for your lives which are revealed a little at a time. Just like your education, God reveals his plans for you a little at a time. When you were in the primary you learned the basic of reading and writing and numbers. In the intermediate level you are introduced to grammar, compositions and math problems. Each grade level some new truths and some new exciting concepts are revealed to you.

Paul said it very well:  "I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize.   My friends, I don't feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for what is ahead.   I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done."  Php 3:12-14 

  
 In the same way, God reveals his perfect plans for you in  mysterious yet understandable manner all we have to do is give time to stop, look and listen, take time to what God is revealing to you everyday. 


There’s a certain Italian harbor that can be reached only by sailing up a narrow channel between dangerous rocks and shoals. Over the years, many ships have wrecked, and navigation is hazardous. To guide the ships safely into port, three lights have been mounted in the harbor on three huge poles. When the three lights are perfectly lined up and seen as one, the ship can safely proceed up the narrow channel. If the pilot sees two or three lights, he knows he’s off course and in danger. 

God has also provided three beacons to guide us. The same rules of navigation apply – the three lights must be lined up before it is safe for us to proceed. The three harbor lights of guidance are 1. The Word of God  2. Prayer 3. Circumstances.

I do not believe that there are  formulas for success but I know that there steps to achieving success--it all begins with a proper understanding of  time and the proper way of discerning opportunities God has given you: start with your education and the rest will follow. Education is your parent's gift to you--it is part God's plan for you.

1. Take time to appreciate time.
2. Take time to think about how precious time is.
3. Take time to listen to your parent's advice.
4. Take time to build friendship with people who will positively contribute to your development.
5. Take time to establish a saving relationship with the Lord for the Lord wants what is best for us.
      Jer 29:11-13  I will bless you with a future filled with hope--a future of success, not of suffering. 
6. And do take the time to nurture your relationship with the Lord.
    Jer 29:12-13  You will turn back to me and ask for help, and I will answer your prayers.   You will worship me with all your heart, and I will be with you .









No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...