Sunday, February 18, 2007

Etnographic


My classmate Rommel and I did an ethnographic research, our finals for social sciences 2, at _______, Tanay, Rizal.

(A sling is attached to the head and tied (in this case nailed) to the lumber/s. )


Since the log ban, mechanized transportation of lumber is now not possible. This is one way of transporting lumber from the mountains to the "drop point". A carrier has to carry four to five pieces of this in order to earn five hundred pesos, about ten dollars, (I was only carrying one and I'm already seeing stars!). They carry these from eight to nine hours of mountain trekking. Experienced lumber carriers developed tumor like growth on their napes because of the load. "People here vomit blood to earn money," one of the residents said. We were warned by our guide Pastor Nito barlaan not take pictures lest we be mistaken for a forest ranger or an intelligence officer and "never get home". And since we do not anyone who will agree to be photographed (we dare not ask because their stares alone is enough warning), I had no choice but to demonstrate how it is done.

(Rommel, me, and Pastor Nito Barlaan )




We also tried to take pictures of caravan of horses carrying logs at night but after hearing some stories of disappearances, I deemed it better to ask Rommel, an illustrator, to just draw the images.
(Notice the blisters on the hose's side.)




These jeeps transport people and goods at daylight and illegal lumber at night. They have a specially designed seats, chassis, and sometimes even roof that allows lumbers to be stored where they are then delivered to hardwares in Taytay, Rizal. There are also elf trucks carrying Philippine lemons but according to our sources these sack of lemons are just camouflage because underneath these sacks are illegal lumbers.
The small time loggers are protected by the communist insurgents and exploited by the law enforcers, that is what these people say.






(Wordplay lang: Writing, papers, papers, snoopers, snoppers, illegal loggers, I wish school's over.)





No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...