Friday, October 28, 2016

Folk dance and rhythmic exercises seminar: the best cardio work out for rheumatics



After two days of lectures and bytes and the upgrading of our computer skills, the ICT seminar was over and we preceded to second part of the school INSET, the Folk dance and rhythmic exercises workshop. 

They were already starting when I arrived on the first day but I was able to catch the first basic steps which was the bravado and the basic foot patterns after which the hand and arm movement were demonstrated by the instructors. After a few minutes of imitation, I (or we) were able to perform the steps on our own, sort of.

Even the lecture part was fun because of the laughter from the participants which grew even louder during the practice sessions because most of the teachers especially the middle age and the seniors who do not have the agility and the coordination of youth were humored, but despite lack of coordination and grace the "generation gap" they participated wholeheartedly to the performances. The seminar was short, so the mastery was not really the aim, I guess, this is more of an introductory workshop and I hope there will be a thorough workshop in the future.

Last night, I was showing off my Itik-itik steps to my wife. I was doing the fancy footwork and the salok, sarok, lateral and other hand moves. She told me that the dance looked fun and it could be a good cardio work out for me, like zumba or aerobics. She's the health conscious between us and she's always worried that I am not getting enough exercises. I said yeah, maybe she's afraid of making comments but she was smiling. Anyway, she's right. Though at the surface our folk dances seemed too light to be considered a serious work out routine, but after a few minutes of practice, believe me, it did awaken the arteries and burned a lot of calories. The proof was the aching muscles and joints. Ok, I guess I'm old and had rheumatism and is in no position to evaluate, but still the routine broke sweat glands. And you should try it. In fact I saw a group of individuals on early TV promoting our folk dances as a an  alternative to zumba.

Anyway, it was fun and that's what counts.





No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...