Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Terra Nova

Summer, hot, with nothing to do...instead of dreaming of sand, beach, water, rivers, ice creams and other anti-summer-heat stuffs that needs (a lot of) money to realize, I chose to do the next best thing: electric fan, reading, blogging, and DVD marathon.

There's a new sci-fi series that I saw on my sister's cable TV titled Terra Nova. Of course, I could not stay in Baguio to watch the whole series, so I did what I always do, hunt for the DVD from my favorite vendor. To tell the truth, I am amazed by the titles being sold by my favorite illegal DVD vendor. I was looking around when, as if he knew, maybe he sort of like studied my preferences like Google's algorithm or something,  he showed me this.



The story was set in 2149. The planet was on the verge of death because of environmental catastrophe and overpopulation and the people survives on filtered air and artificial food and population control.  The people of 2149 discovered a fracture in time going back to 85 million years that can be opened and passed  through. Scientists sent a probe to explore and they found out that the time stream was different from 2149  time stream so it is possible to migrate and inhabit the time and place without disrupting the 2149 flow of time--the butterfly effect. There was  a catch though: the fracture in time goes only one way, it is not possible to go back to 2149.

There was waves of migration to the new colony called Terra Nova. (terra=land, nova=new) or (terra=left over, nova=grain chips). I'm in episode four...anyway...Terra Nova was a growing community of pilgrims from the future that have established a growing colony in the past.

Faced with the dangers of large prehistoric animals like dinosaurs and other prehistoric carnivorous reptiles, insects, diseases, parasite and other unknown dangers of an unexplored land, they survived by   being resourceful and living a spartan life. 

But the real danger was from the sixers. Sixers are pilgrims that came with the sixth wave of immigrants who are working with the industrialist from 2149 bent on stripping and exploiting resources from the past to be used in 2149  thus repeating the error of the future, the rape and destruction of nature. To realize this, the sixers are   working on a way to make the time fracture to go both ways but the Tera Novans are bent on stopping this.

So, there's this conflict between the sixers and the terra novans.


Anyway, still watching...




No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...