Thursday, May 03, 2012

School, Mango

Panoramic shot of our school. On the left is the big mango tree. It must be around fifty years old.

I went to school yesterday. I met the principal and she humored me about the visit by asking if I still recognize her. Of course, I knew she was humoring with a little touch of sarcasm in there because she told the teachers that we should report to work because technically summer is not vacation, which, for a person as thick as me would not work. I smiled and replied: "Yes ma'am, you're the principal." I was with her for a few seconds, chat a little here and then. She was pointing to some improvements being done at the school. She was busy, as always.  


I then went upstairs in the classroom to find that a teacher from grade three has moved up to grade six. I don't know what it is about moving to higher grades as if there's this some sort of prestige or promotion or something.  Of course, teaching grade six requires a broader stock of knowledge because these pupils do ask some question that sometimes goes beyond the PELC*. So, there must be a little truth that grade six pupils must have a little more to it especially when grade six pupils undergo batteries of tests before graduation but the the pay is still the same. Anyway... This is similar to thinking that a teacher moving up to a higher section is sometime interpreted as a promotion of a sort. maybe, maybe not, coconut.


Anyway...I expect a rather interesting school becuase two master teachers were assigned the two lowest section in grade six. The move raised some eyebrows because many, well, seniority: the more senior the better hmmm....situation, I mean the station.


I was on my motorcycle, about to go home, when I heard a loud thump. I looked and saw a mango that fell from the tree. The janitor picked it up and gave it to me. I said thanks and put it under the motorcyle's U-box and forgot all about. So, when I opened the U box to get something, voila: the mango was all black.


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...