Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pitter-patter of the rain


Listening and watching the rain is relaxing. When I look at plants and trees, I could imaging them smiling and dancing as the drops of water refresh them...Or, I could just be hungry or crazy or something. Also, I imagine champurado, lugaw and dvd marathon. 

In my room having my in-between classes break enjoying the pitter-patter of the rain. This is the kind of weather that I really enjoy, wet, damp and cold.  I observe that in this weather the pupils slow down. They tend to huddle together and keep still. Unlike when the weather is hot, they tend to move around a lot, fanning themselves. They gather together near the windows to catch a cool breeze here and then. They fight over seats near the electric fans. When it’s hot, they are restless; when it’s cold, they are relatively calm and relaxed. Of course, when it rains or even drizzles most of them are always asking when the classes would be suspended.

My daughter enjoying the rain. One of the things I enjoy is motorcycling or bicycling in the rain. 

I remember when I was in grade school classes were suspended based on storm signals. Those days, its not unusual for me and my classmates to go home in knee deep water . But today, because of Typhoon Ondoy and the flash floods it brought, the authorities are not taking chances; they suspend classes when they think the threat of flood is becoming imminent without that much respect to typhoon signals. I suppose its better to be safe than sorry.

 But now, the pupils have gotten used to classes being suspended because of rain and flood that even a drizzle gives them suggestion of classes being suspended. Teachers don't like suspension of classes because we would be obliged to have make up classes on weekends.

Rain and Christmas is in the air. This is a bad combination, wet and cold-- bronchitis; that is, if one is not careful with his/her health.

It’s becoming more and more difficult to wake up in the morning because of the cold air. The nights are getting longer and the days are getting shorter. Christmas songs that used to cheer me up when I was a child are now giving me depression. Gaawwddd, really, I think I am becoming a scrooge.

But, it’s okay, as long as the children are having a good time.

_____________________________________________________

Pupils: “Sir! When is our Christmas party?”

Me: “January 5!”

Pupils: “Sir!!!!”

Me: “I am expecting gifts this Christmas?”

Pupils: “Will give you chewing gums!”


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...