Monday, May 14, 2012

Cocks

My neighbor's chicken coop.

My neighbor loves cocks. Every morning I see him petting cocks. Hmm..that didn't sound good.

My neighbor likes cocks. Hmm...that didn't sound good too.

My neighbor takes care of roosters for hobby and for additional income too. Sabong or rooster fighting is a traditional national sport of the Filipinos so its not unusual to see cjicken coops in the yard.  


Our dog cage. Behind it is mt neighbor's chicken coop.


Since his chicken coop is behind our dog cage, I see him every morning him feeding, petting, and exercising his roosters. During weekend, I see him sparring his birdss with the other neighbors'.  They congregate   analyzing and discussing  the moves, strikes, the strength and weaknesses of the cocks;  recommendations being made here and there.

Aside from the feeding, he also conditions the roosters. There's the vitamin regiment...just imagine the effort and the cost.  There are sayings that a Filipino man takes better care of his rooster than his wife. Naturally, emotional attachment to the animal also develops.  

I was feeding the dog when I happen upon my neighbor while he was mixing feeds. He was shaking his head. He told me that two of his roosters were stolen, aside form the other stolen a few months earlier. He was angry. Anyway, I sympathize with him. As usual, the suspects are minors. Many of these thieves, who are of minor age, has been caught but nothing could be done about it except to release them to their parents custody after the arrest. It's that stupid Pangilinan law.

Exasperated, my neighbor was left to posting this message on a coconut tree:

Translation: Hey you chicken thief. You forgot the feeds; the chicken may go hungry. We know who you are. There are more, steal them all. You left some.



No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...