Friday, February 26, 2021

Left handed classical guitarist, is there one?

I have been a guitar enthusiasts, a casual player, since my high school years,  and any music that has guitars in it catches my attention whatever the genre from blues, heavy metal, folk, reggae, to Jazz, and lately the classical guitar. 


With YouTube and Spotify (thanks to my daughter's subscription), I was able to download some Jazz guitar music by Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass hoping I would develop a taste for it but jazz was not my thing though, too abstract for me.

I listen to Wes Montgomery once in a while because of the guitar and I sometimes catch a glimpse of comprehension but generally, I don't know what the heck is going on. WTF, it seems there are no wrong notes! Its like they are just fooling around with their instruments and having mindless fun, but somehow, it all seems to fit together. That's what makes Jazz mystifying to me.

Of course, behind the jumble of confusing polytonal, polyrhythmic and abstract mishmash of aural algebra are advanced and  sometimes experimental musical theories that are accessible only to the few who have reached a certain degree of musical divinity.

Wes Montgomery


In my forties, I started to listen and learn classical guitar music out of frustration. I cant sing in tune! I can sing, though, if croaking is counted as one. Finger style guitar lets the guitar sing for me but its not easy especially with  knuckle breaking spread and broken chords that sometimes span three to four frets. But I get by with my short and stubby fingers.

There's a misconception that classical music is on the top of the hierarchy of musical taste. Maybe this is true a hundred years ago when classical music was for the consumption of the noble, aristocrats, and the cultured rich and middle class because of the fact that its an expensive form of entertainment back then with live group of musicians performing the masters' compositions.  

But today, the social media age, when classical music became accessible to everyone through the internet, it's now just another musical genre to be enjoyed, appreciated and studied by anyone who wants to. 

 And also, anyone can now enjoy and learn the pieces since there hundreds of free scores, arrangements, and performances available for free (or for a fee) to anyone who is interested in it.  Of course, a real music school is important for structured and systematic study , but virtual lessons are the next best thing for the hobbyists and enthusiasrs who cannot afford tuitions.

Today, it's not unusual for heavy metal music to be played and enjoyed by classical musicians and vice versa. Philharmonic Orchestras now record and perform popular music from heavy metal to shitty ballads.

 I think one video that made this crossover  popular to ameteur guitarists was the electric guitar cover of Pachelbel's Canon in D by this guy around 2008:


Can you play Canon in D? What the hell is that?

After this guy's video went viral, Pachelbel's Canon in D became the Stairway to Heaven of 2010s. I was asked many times by young guitarists (who thought I could play everything) if I could play it, which of course I couldn't. It was a big thing then. After that video gathered millions of views, electric guitarists followed and uploaded their videos playing amped and effects driven classical and baroque music. 

Anyway...

I am a Jimi Hendrix guy and Jimi was considered the GOAT of electric guitar for his musicality, creativity, and on-stage antics. He also had the added mystique of being a left handed player, and of course, of dying at the "cursed age" of 27. 




There's this idea that left handed artists are better or more gifted with their skills than the normal, average right handed human being. There's Jimi, Paul McCartney, Manny Pacquiao, Sting, etc.

But there's one guitar music genre where it seems there are no left handed players, of note at least: the classical music. 

So, I posed the question to an FB Classical Guitar Group with members from all sorts of musical levels,  from professional concert players, teachers, students to hobbyists and casual players of different nationalities to see if there are any lefties.  Also, I was wondering if left handed classical guitar students are corrected to play right.




Surprisingly, there are a lot of left hand dominant classical guitarists but they play right handed with no problem at all. The reason?

In the classical guitar both hand share almost equal amount of work just like in the piano. Both hands and fingers are doing their work independently and there is no need for one of the hands to be dominant over the other at all.

 In rock, jazz, folk, etc. guitar one hand is doing more work than the other, usually the dominant hand, and this determine how the player holds the guitar's neck and which hand does the strumming and picking.

This does not mean there no classical guitar player who play their guitar inverted at all. 

I mean, there are white crows.

What the heck...

I need to cut down on coffee...








1 comment:

WENDY CUTRONA said...

HAVE YOU BEEN IN SEARCH FOR GENUINE HACKER'S ONLINE?. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?. WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION .

BLANK ATM CARD :We have specially programmed BLANK ATM CARDS that can be used to hack any ATM machine, these ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, stores and outlets. We sell this BLANK CARDS to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide, the BLANK CARDS has a daily withdrawal limit of $5000 in ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores. and also if you are in need of any other cyber hacking services, we are here for you at any time any day. Email :
Email:Creditcards.atm@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +1(539) 888-2243

-hack into any kind of phone
_Increase Credit Scores
_western union, bitcoin and money gram hacking
_criminal records deletion
_BLANK ATM/CREDIT CARDS
_Hacking of phones(that of your spouse, boss, friends, and see whatever is being discussed behind your back)
_Security system hacking...and so much more. Contact THEM now and get whatever you want at
Email:Creditcards.atm@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +1(539) 888-2243
You can also contact us on Telegram.
🌈🔥🌏🌎🌍✔💰💴💵💶💸💷📩📮📝📍📌📊📉📈

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...