Friday, July 13, 2012

another dolphy blah,blah...





Okey, this is another blah, blah, about Dolphy but I couldn't help it.

I really felt sad when I heard that the King of Philippine comedy died last Tuesday, July 10. I was watching some of his movie and TV shows clips and I couldn't help but feel nostalgic about my childhood and my late father, about my classmates, about eating aratiles and catching fish using tin cans...I mean all my childhood memories came flashing back to me and suddenly I felt my age.  

The black and white movie has this  magic like a time machine of some sort. I was never was and never is a Dolphy fan and I couldn't remember ever watching his movie in theaters because I never took his movies seriously. I mean, its not that I never liked his movies; I did and still do, its just that I never liked his slapstick comedy but I did like his singing and dancing. But even though I did not like his slapstick, I did laugh at his antics.

Dolphy was like one of those things hmmm...a fixture on TV and movie that just was there, always there. one does not have to take him consciously and seriously because he was always there, a part of, to borrow the word from a scholar, collective consciousness and memory of  the Filipinos especially those who were able to see and follow his movies and TV shows.


Anyway, just attempting to express how I felt about his death and I felt the lost... hmm... I thought he was ...hmm...immortal. 

_____________

My childhood friends and I used to go hiking and trekking at Antipolo and we used to pass by Valley Golf Country Club where a house allegedly built by Dolphy for Alma Moreno was being constructed. We would look at it and tried to peek and peep looking for Dolphy but we didn't even catch a glimpse of the man.  Anyway, the house is now rotting.



No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...