Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year's Meanderings...

2011 is about to end and just like most human beings I am thinking or trying to make a list of what I would like not to do this coming New Year. The emphasis is on not because I think I did a lot of good things this passing year, but I also think that I did a lot of bad things.

Hmmmm…thinking…hmmm…I would like to have things!

 1. Buy a Laptop computer.


I think I am the only one who does not have a Laptop Computer. So, this year, I am going to buy one. A good laptop costs about 30-40 thousand pesos. So, to buy one, I would have to buy on credit which means that atop from the 30-40 thousand pesos principal cost, I have to shell out another 20% for the interests for a one year installment plan. (I had no Credit Card so I have to ride.) At teacher's salary, this means cutting my take home pay by around 30%. Take out the bills, my daughter’s tuitions, medicines, what’s left… that mean we’ll be eating…hmmm…tuyo, kamatis, sardinas, itlog, talong…a whole year of deprivation just to have one damned laptop! 

Come to think of it, our old HP Pentium 4 desktop  is still ok it may not be that fast, but it still gets the job done.


2. Buy a new fancy cellphone!




I am not much of a cellphone guy. My fascination with CPs stopped when I bought my very first cellphone, Nokia 5110. My 5110 cost me 5 thousand pesos then, which was a lot of money during the 90s. I then thought that I had the best cellphone in the world only to find out the next day that a new model 3210 was already out. I had a 5110 while everybody else had 3210s which cost twice as much as my 5110 but it basically did the same thing except the 3210 had more games. Then after 3210 came, theres 7110, 3310, 5210, 8210...all phone did the same thing, basically. But the flood of celphone models made me realize that theres something wrong here: its not about communication, basically!

Anyway, I am going to buy myself a fancy celphone. One with a touch screen, camera and other fancy stuff that I might not need but will impress the hell out of people. I now could eat in fast food chain and text people as if I have acute myopia keeping my celphone near my face and flashing the Apple logo to all the fastfood customer...I mean I could do that!

But then that could mean eating camote the whole year...


Anyway, my Nokia still works fine. This phone was given to me by the church's youth almost a decade ago. It still works fine; the only part I replaced was the battery. May not look much but still does the same thing, basically: communicate. This phone has one feature that is absent from all fancy cellphones: it never gets lost.

     I have left it in classrooms, seminars, church pews... always when I come back to look for it, it is there where I left it. My celphone is also immune from comparison and envy, and I have no worry about snatchers and it could also be used as a defensive missile.
    
    3. Buy a new motorcycle

      Naaahhhhh....no eating for two years.

    4. Buy a decent classical guitar

     This one I am thinking seriously. But then again buying myself a good classical guitar is like buying a bad guitar player a good guitar.

    5. Buy good books

      This I could afford but second hand books are just as good.

      Anyway, what I plan for this year is a year free from debt. I plan to save, if that is possible at all.


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...