Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Island Hopping Christmas




I had a good time with my family this Christmas break. It would have been a perfect Christmas holiday if my missionary brother and his family were here with us. But I know that their absence was more than made up for by the knowledge that they were doing God's work, and they were with us in spirit. Of course it would have been better if we were able Skype with them, but the broad band signal in Alaminos was so poor that it was not made possible.



We went island hopping at the Hundred Islands Park in Alaminos, Pangasinan. This was not the first time I had been to Alaminos, I had visited the place a couple of times since my sister and brother in law started their ministry at Alaminos Baptist Church; this was my first time to go island hopping.  

Though the waves were a little rough when we left the shore, the bobbing and the water splashes added thrill to the ride. I was a little concerned because I do no know how to swim, and I was thinking if ever the boat capsized, what would I do or who would I save first, to think that I do not even know how to swim! Of course my fear was unfounded because we all had life vests, but I could not help thinking about it.


I was really amazed by the natural bonsais that I saw on the rock ledges. Though I didn't know what kind of tress they were, their size, shape and proportions impressed me ( a non bonsai guy, may I say). Anyway, I am thinking of buying binoculars so that next time I go on an eco-trip, I would be able to make the most of the sights. Of course a DSLR camera would be fine too, but that is way, way beyond my salary. 


My sister was pointing to an island and she was telling me that it was shaped like a turtle. This was another way of enjoying the hundred islands, looking at them and letting your imagination run wild as to what they were shaped to look like. But here was the problem, the boat's engine was so loud that it made it impossible to have a conversation.

This made it almost impossible to think and to share ideas about the sight. The shared experiences of the moment were virtually lost, drowned by the engine's noise. What remained was your own impressions which would have been enriched by the shared impressions of the others. Once on the island, away from the boat, it's futile to talk about a particular sight that had passed because looking and sharing your impressions were not the same as describing and talking what you have seen...just not the same. 

My sister and nephew covering their ears because they were sitting near the engine.

The trip was enjoyable except for the noise of the boat's engine. I wondered why nobody ever though of putting mufflers on those engines. Of course, to some tourists, the engine's noise maybe a good thing...

Anyway, we all had fun. God be thanked. Next year, the family is planning of going to Thailand to celebrate Christmas with my missionary brother's family...that is, Lord willing.



No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...