Thursday, February 09, 2012

On Punctuation

They celebrate punctuation day! (Photo not mine)

Okay, so what  do I know about punctuation? Not much really because I don't like my blogging to be bothered by technicalities, and I am too lazy to check my grammar book on the proper use of punctuation. I just cruise along, and, if, I, make some pauses while...hmmm...writing, I usually put a comma in there. This, to a grammarian, may look weird, and, unconventional because too much commas makes writing choppy and crowded. But, one of the reasons why I use too much comma is that I think of them as natural pauses, sort of a musical rest, like when, I'm thinking about, words, I pause, once in a while, and think. Of course commas are separators, but for me, they, are...pauses, too.

Hmmm...about ellipsis...these three little dots that...is also one of my favorite punctuation. Ellipsis means there is something more to be said but instead of continuing the writer simply stops and put hmmm....The reasons? 

1. He is too lazy to come up with words, too lazy to think.

2. He does not know what the heck is he writing about, 

3. He is not sure of anything at all.

For one thing the following phrases  is already obvious to the readers like for example: "What the...!", Or Holy ...! Of course I am not saying bad words but the effect of the ellipsis could be hmm...felt. So sometime ellipsis makes the writing interesting because there are gaps where the reader are made to psychologize and analyze what the in the world is going on in between! Well, too much ellipsis make hhhh..., ..., ..., ohhh..., ...like... maybe..., to..., maybe if.... see... it is creepy, really.



Anyway, another reason is that the writer just wants to quote parts of something like: "In beginning...Lambs book of life!" The writer quoted the entire Bible leaving some stuffs in the middle for the reader to:

1. Just leave as it is.

2. Open the Bible and read what is in between,

3. Just pretend nothing happened.

I used the Bible as an example because it is the book that I read often, nothing else.

I once saw a neighbor a fresh college graduate doing his, I mean her, resume and I saw that he, I mean she,  used a lot of ellipsis.

I read her application as:

I am a hardworking college graduate interested in working in your company...
I graduated with a degree...etc.

I immediately told her that these three dots have specific use. Obviously she did not have any idea about the use of punctuation. She replied that these three dots made her resume look artful and interesting. I asked where she was applying for a job and she said she was applying for a job in a Chinese shoe factory in Taytay. I said...hmmm...ellipsis is good!

Do, read, your, grammar, book, and, try, to be a smart writer....but my tip is, doodle anything and then let the punctuation and other technical stuff bother you later, ..., ..., ...,...!

Anyway, my first morning class is about to begin in 10, 9, 8, 7...





No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...