Monday, February 27, 2012

EDSA Revolution: Where was I?




EDSA Revolution was celebrated with a lot of pomp and a lot of trash. As I was watching on TV how the supposed heroes of EDSA reenacted the meeting or the salubong of the  Enrile and the Ramos forces across Aguinaldo and Crame, I watched in horror as helicopters and people from top of floors of  buildings released tons and tons of yellow confetti’s. My gulay these people were inconsiderate of the street sweepers; they were killing the Metroaides. 

What's wrong with me? This was a momentous event in our history! In the true Spirit of EDSA, I would love to see the politicians clean up after their drama and give the poor street sweepers the break--EDSA brotherhood and all the dramatic stuff...bah!

Anyway, where was I during the 1986 EDSA Revolution?  I was 14 years old then.  TV and radio were filled with news about the defection of Ramos and Enrile. While the news was being broadcasted, people in our neighborhood were all excited because, according to them, there were tanks, helicopters parked at EDSA and people were allowed to see the inside of these military hardware—the officers did not mind; there were also free food being distributed. Many of my neighbors especially the youth trooped to EDSA because they were curious of what’s going on. Anyway, patriotism and all that stuff was the farthest thing on their mind. If I were a little older then, I would have joined them to EDSA not as a revolutionary but as an uzi (usisero or gawker). I was too young to think of the moral and political as well as the historical implications of EDSA. But, if you ask me, little or nothing’s changed, really. Who cares! The poor are still poor and the rich and corrupt are getting richer and more corrupt.

But the songs did stir up some emotions in me especially Magkaisa by composed by Tito Sotto and Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo by the APO Hiking Society.


                                                        Magkaisa by Virna Lisa


                                               Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo

Of course to further prove the uselessness and the uniqueness of EDSA, another EDSA, EDSA II, happened were Erap was ousted and jailed by GMA  and her cohorts because of jueteng and drinking only to see that GMA was a far worse president than Erap: the lady was a Machiavellian villain.  Then there's the miscarried EDSA III where the poor common-methamphetamine-alcohol-loaded masses revolted to bring Erap back to Power. My friends and I were there to uzi at EDSA III. We were just lucky we went home early because if not, there was a possibility that we would also be arrested along with rioters. Then there was the aborted EDSA IV where the people got tired of GMA's lying and her husband's embroilment with bribery and corruption with government contracts  so civil society joined hands in plotting to oust GMA through another EDSA, but GMA got tired of EDSA so simply banned assembly on EDSA. Good move! Ban assembly on EDSA so that there will not be another EDSA. 

Why not just rename the highway Manny Pacquiao Avenue and be done with EDSA. 


No comments:

I got a bikelog?

A year ago, I asked my daughter for a loan so that I could buy a mountain bike. This was in the middle of May 2021 and the pandemic was stil...